Sunday, July 12, 2009

Life Insurance / Will & Estate Planning

Something we really don't want to discuss less known act upon, but this is something I feel very passionate about. My story...


I waited until I was 37 years old to have a child as a single, professional, African American woman. I count it a blessing to have God as my conscious, my father as my guide, memories of my mother, grandmother and other matriots of my father as my strength, my sisters as my support, my girls as my life-lines. But when I take my final breath, when God says my time on this Earth has come to an end and my lil' princess, what happens if my lil' one is under 21 years?


These are the things I think of sometimes in the wee hours of the night {or mornings}.

* Who do I trust enough to care for her as I do?

* Who is the back-up in case they can't or won't?

* Who will ensure she goes to college, remain drug-alcohol-pregnant free?

* How much debt will I have & will the insurance policy cover it?


I found the answers====

1. God-mothers {4 of them to be exact}

2. Estate Planning / Lawyer

3. Know the laws of my state regarding Will validity & probate laws

4. Keep all important papers together...lock box, safety deposit box, etc

5. A Detailed Will from children to burial plot or cremation


What are you thoughts? What are your plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment